Pain au Chocolat (Chocolate Croissant)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 chocolate croissants)
- 1 sheet of croissant dough (Pillsbury croissant dough or any croissant type dough)
- 8 chocolate sticks (e.g. dark chocolate).
- 1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat oven 400 °F (about 200 °C).
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold croissant dough and instead of separating the dough in triangles, separate in 4 rectangles. Seal back the perforated holes (as best as you can, it does not have to be perfectly sealed)
- Place 2 chocolate sticks on each rectangle, one at a time, just like this baker does in the 1 min. clip below. You want to make sure the fold is facing down so your petits pains au chocolat don’t open up during baking:
- In a small cup, mix the egg yolk with about 1-2 TBSP of water. With a food brush, spread the egg yolk mixture on each petit pain au chocolat (it will give them that rich golden color when they are done).
- Bake the pains au chocolat for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from cooking sheet and let cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Chocolate substitution: you can line the dough with chocolate chips if you don’t have chocolate sticks handy. Your pains au chocolat will be delicious too.
- Big crowd: double up the croissant dough and chocolate and make 8 pains au chocolat. No need to double up the egg yolk, it is enough for 8.