by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of thinly sliced gruyère
- 4 slices of ham (not too thin)
- Soft salted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Stack up the slices of gruyère and cut to the approximate size of the bread. Do the same thing with the slices of ham.
- Butter up 4 slices of bread and stack up ingredients in the following order: 1 slice of bread (butter side facing up), 1 slice of gruyère, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of gruyère.
- Butter up the last 4 slices of bread and place on top of the last layer of gruyère with butter facing up. The butter will melt down into the top slice of bread.
- Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the center oven rack.
- Grill in a hot oven for about 10 minutes. During the last 1-2 minutes, put the broiler on high (but monitor closely to avoid overcooking). This will make for a nice color on top and add to the crunch.
- Serve on individual plates with a green salad if you wish.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Cheese lovers: sprinkle shredded gruyère on top of the croque-monsieur before putting in the oven.
- Cheese substitution: if you don’t have gruyère, you can use emmental or Swiss cheese.
- Oven alternative: croque-monsieur can also be made on the stove top or in a panini press.