Gratin Dauphinois (Gratin of Potatoes)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 6 servings)
- About 2 lbs of potatoes
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2-3 turns of pepper mill
- Parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Peel and wash potatoes. Cut in thin slices and pat dry.
- Rub bottom of oven proof casserole dish with a couple of crushed garlic cloves.
- Arrange potatoes on your baking dish. Mix milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Bake for 1.5 hours. The potatoes will be golden brown and simply melt in your mouth!
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Cheese: there is an ongoing debate in France as to whether it is acceptable to add cheese to a grating Dauphinois. But if you love cheese, feel free to sprinkle shredded gruyère on top of the potatoes, it is delicious!
- Meal idea: you can serve your gratin Dauphinois with lamb (roasted leg of lamb or grilled lamb chops), it is a great combination. A gratin Dauphinois also pairs well with a pork roast.
- Vegetarian: in the old days, a gratin Dauphinois was a satisfying and hearty supper. During the week, consider a meatless dinner by serving your gratin Dauphinois with a green salad.
- Parsley: after taking your gratin out of the oven, feel free to sprinkle some chopped parsley — it will add color and it’s good for digestion too!
List of Cookware and Utensils