Art of the Home Tip – to prevent a soggy quiche, pre-bake your crust as follows:
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (about 200°C).
- Line tart pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out pie crust and place inside tart pan.
- Prick with fork (a dozen times or so will do).
- Place a layer of aluminium foil on top of crust. Make sure you press the foil to the sides of the crust. Fill the pie crust with dried beans (or other baking weights such as rice, dried peas, or store bought baking weights) — this will prevent the crust from rising and the sides from collapsing.
- Put in pre-heated oven for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dispose of foil. You can dispose of the dried beans too but I keep mine in a special “blind baking” jar so I can re-use them.
- Your pie crust is now ready for any filing!
Art of the Home Suggestions
- Prep. crust ahead of time: to prepare your crust for blind baking ahead of time, skip Step 1 and stop before Step 6. Place prepared crust in the fridge until you’re ready to blind bake it.
- Pre-bake ahead of time: you can also do all the steps and set your pre-baked crust aside until you are ready to prepare your quiche. This will save you 15 minutes of prep. time just before dinner!