Rule #1: Non-stop whisking
Rule #2: Use cold milk if your roux (i.e. melted butter with flour) is hot or hot milk if your roux is cold (they both have to be at different temperatures to avoid lumps).
Easy Recipe for Bechamel Sauce
Our easy recipe for bechamel sauce is also the basis for the delicious Mornay sauce or other white sauces used to coat vegetables. We even use this easy recipe for bechamel sauce recipe when making homemade macaroni and cheese. So check Art of the Home easy recipe for bechamel sauce below as well as Art of the Home suggestion. Enjoy and bon appetit!
Easy Recipe for Bechamel Sauce (French Sauce Béchamel)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 2 cups)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP of flour
- 2 cup of cold milk
- Salt & pepper (2-3 pinches of salt and round of pepper mill)
- Melt 2 TBSP butter in a saucepan. The butter should not change color.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and mix with a whisk. Make sure you gather the flour on the side of the pot and whisk consistently to avoid lumps. You have just prepared a “roux blond.”
- Now let’s add cold milk, all at once. Cook under low-medium heat, whisking without interruption until the desired thickness — 5 to 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes, your bechamel sauce will become to thicken. For thicker sauce, cook your bechamel sauce for the full 10 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Your bechamel sauce is ready!
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Top your croque-monsieur with bechamel sauce and gruyère before toasting — so rich and creamy!