Potage de Légumes (Vegetable Soup)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 3 big carrots
- 2 potatoes (russet type)
- 1 leek
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cups of chicken broth (homemade chicken broth, store bought chicken broth, 4 cups of water with 1 tsp of chicken base, or 4 cups of water with 1 bouillon cube)
- 4 cups of water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel and wash potatoes and carrots. Cut in small chunks (1-2 inches).
- Wash leek. First remove the end, and cut in half lengthwise. Separate leek leaves and wash in water. Dry, bundle together and cut in 1-2 inch strips.
- Peel onion and cut in small chunks.
- Place vegetables in a large pot. Pour in chicken broth and add enough water to cover the vegetables (about 1 liters/4 cups) — you will have about 8 cups (2 liters) of liquid.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer 3/4 covered for 30 to 45 minutes (your veggies, especially the carrots, should be tender and soft). Puree your soup using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Variations: add 1 tsp of butter and mix in. You can also sprinkle grated Parmesan – very delicious.
- Texture: if you like a thicker soup, you can add one potatoe or reduce the water quantity.