Gâteau Fondant au Chocolat (Chocolate Fondant Cake)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 6-8 servings)
- 7 ounces (about 200 g) of baking chocolate (e.g. dark chocolate — 60% or more cocoa or semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cups of soft butter
- 2 TBSP of flour
- Optional: 1 TBSP of amber rum or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Butter and flour cake pan (we used this 10 inch nonstick springform pan).
- Break the chocolate into even pieces. You’ll need to put your chocolate pieces in a heat-proof bowl (or a small saucepan) and place it on top of a larger saucepan filled with hot water. Melt chocolate in a “bain marie” (water bath).
- Add soft butter to the bain marie and mix in with chocolate.
- Remove from bain marie and add the sugar and sifted flour (using a mesh strainer is fine).
- Add in egg yolks one at a time (keep egg whites a separate mixing bowl).
- Add rum or vanilla extract (optional).
- Beat egg whites (add a pinch of salt beforehand, it helps the process).
- Carefully fold in about a third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate/butter/egg yolk/sugar/flour mixture. Repeat with another third and then the last third. Make sure to get the chocolate from the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Pour in cake pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in a preheated oven (350 °F).
- Gently detach the sides of cake with a knife and remove walls of springform pan.
- Serve warm or cold.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Flavor: you can enjoy your chocolate fondant cake “au naturel” by skipping step 7 above. Adding vanilla extract is always a big hit for a children’s birthday party. And for a special holiday or gathering, make it festive and add rum instead.
- Decoration: sprinkling confectioners’ sugar (thru a mesh strainer for example) will add an elegant touch to your chocolate fondant cake. You can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a spoon of crème Chantilly (Chantilly cream).
- Precaution on melting chocolate: chocolate burns easily so make sure to check our Art of the Home tips on how to melt chocolate in a bain marie.