Classic French Cocktail: Kir (and Kir Royal)
by Art of the Home
- 9 cl of chilled Burgundy aligote (Bourgogne aligoté)
- 2 cl of crème de cassis (i.e. sweet liqueur made from blackcurrants)
- Pour crème de cassis in individual glasses.
- Add the white wine.
- If needed, you may prefer to gently mix with a small spoon before serving.
- Enjoy chilled.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Glassware: Kir is typically served in a wine glass although it can also but served in a Champagne flute. Kir Royal is always served in a Champagne flute. Make sure you tilt the flute when you serve to minimize Champagne bubbles.
- Dosage: 2 cl is about 4 tsp but keep in mind that the dosage does not need to be exact, it’s an art more than a science. You can simply look at the glass and estimate a 2 to 9 parts ratio. You can also judge based on color (see picture above) or taste (and adjust accordingly the next time).