Brown Rice with Fresh Thyme (Riz Complet au Thym)
Baked Brown Rice with Fresh Thyme (Riz Complet au Thym)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 6-8 servings)
- 2 cups of brown rice (Basmati, Texmati)
- 3 1/3 cups of boiling water (or simply pour boiling water to about 1/2 inch above the rice)
- 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 2-3 Sprigs of thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Put brown rice in a shallow baking dish. Place thyme and bay leaves on top of the rice. Peel and wash one carrot and cut in small rounds directly on top of the rice.
- Bring water to a rapid boil (we typically use our tea kettle – quick rapid boil) and pour on top of rice and fresh herbs. Add a good soup spoon of olive oil, 1 coffee spoon of salt, and pepper (optional). Cover baking dish with aluminum foil as tight as you can so the steam is trapped.
- Bake for 45 min. Turn the oven off and leave inside the oven for at least 30 minutes (we often plan for 1 hour). Your rice will be soft and moist but not mushy.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Broth substitution: depending on your side dish, you could substitute a broth (chicken if you serve a poultry or beef broth if you serve beef). This can add a delicious flavor to the rice. In this case however, we do not add salt or just a couple pinches at most.
- Great side dish to go with a fish en papillote: easy, healthy, and delicious.
- Add a dash of sophistication to your weekly dinner and serve your rice in a timbale. Great for portion control as well!
- Invite your friends or loved ones that are on a gluten free diet and enjoy a great meal together!