Aioli Sauce Recipe (Aïoli)
Aioli Sauce Recipe (Recette de l’Aïoli)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (about 1.5 cups)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/4 cups of olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel garlic, cut in half lengthwise and remove garlic sprout from the center of each clove.
- Using a mortar, pound garlic to obtain a garlic paste. You can also use a food processor.
- Carefully separate the egg yolks from the whites (make sure there is not white otherwise just like with a mayonnaise, your aioli will not emulsify as easily if at all). Whisk egg yolks into the garlic paste.
- Pour a few drops of olive oil in the egg yolk/garlic mixture and whisk vigorously. Keep pouring olive oil a few drops at a time until you see that the aioli sauce has emulsified. After using the first 1/2 cup of olive oil or so, pour the olive oil in a thinstream stirring constantly. A wooden spoon can be used instead of a whisk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Typcially, we add about 4 good pinches of salt & 4 rounds of pepper mills but feel free to adjust.
- Refrigerate (up to 24 hours) and serve cold.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Wine suggestion: when serving an aioli sauce, consider a white wine which pairs well with the garlic flavor of this Provencal sauce.
- Too much garlic? If needed, lower the number of garlic cloves or increase the olive oil quantity to 2 cups.
- Quick aioli sauce recipe: instead of making homemade olive oil mayonnaise, skip step 3 and 4 and add add storebought mayonnaise to Step 5 (you may even be able to find an olive oil mayonnaise).
- Mayonnaise substitution: delicious alternative on any sandwich.
- Bring Provence on your table and serve the aioli sauce in the mortar.